Identify any Amazon Redshift clusters that appear to be underutilized and downsize them to help lower the cost of your monthly AWS bill. By default, an AWS Redshift cluster is considered "underutilized" when matches the following criteria:
- The average CPU utilization has been less than 60% for the last 7 days.
- The total number of ReadIOPS and WriteIOPS registered per day for the last 7 days has been less than 100 on average.
The AWS CloudWatch metrics utilized to detect underused Redshift clusters are:
- CPUUtilization - the percentage of CPU utilization (Units: Percent).
- ReadIOPS and WriteIOPS - the average number of disk I/O (Input/Output) operations per second (Units: Count/Second).
Note: You can change the default threshold values for this rule on the Cloud Conformity console and set your own values for CPU utilization, the total number of ReadIOPS and WriteIOPS to configure the underuse level for your Redshift clusters.
This rule can help you work with the AWS Well-Architected Framework
This rule resolution is part of the Cloud Conformity Security & Compliance tool for AWS
Downsizing underused AWS Redshift clusters to meet the capacity needs at the lowest cost represents an efficient strategy to reduce your monthly AWS costs. For example, resizing a ds2.xlarge Redshift cluster to a dc1.large cluster due to CPU and IOPS resources underuse, you can save roughly $440 per month (as of March 2017).
To identify any underused Redshift clusters provisioned within your AWS account, perform the following:
Remediation / Resolution
Option 1: Downsize (resize) the underused Redshift clusters provisioned within your AWS account. To resize any Amazon Redshift cluster that is currently running in "underutilized" mode, perform the following actions:
Option 2: Disable the rule check. If the selected underused Redshift cluster configuration must remain unchanged due to project implementation design, you should turn off the conformity rule check for the specified cluster from the Cloud Conformity console.
- AWS Documentation
- Trusted Advisor Best Practices (Checks)
- Amazon Redshift Clusters
- Summary of Amazon Redshift Performance Data
- Managing Clusters Using the Console
- SIMPLE MONTHLY CALCULATOR
Unlock the Remediation Steps
Gain free unlimited access
to our full Knowledge Base
Over 750 rules & best practices
Get started for FREE
You are auditing:
Underutilized Redshift Cluster
Risk level: High